1.02.2010

Last saturday night of the winter break

So this last Saturday of winter break was different than most weekend nights: I decided instead to visit Bob, an 86 year old friend of mine. Bob is a huge supporter of OSU athletics, and he became a friend of my mom's during an earlier season. Now, I just love elderly people. I think they are just precious. And Bob lives by himself in a big house, and I can imagine that he gets a little lonely. I think the last time I visited with him was during the summer, with the exception of him supporting us at our fall ball games, so I knew I was overdue for a visit. I called him up around 7:30 pm and told him I would be over soon if he wasn't busy. He's always a joy to see, he greets me with a hug and strong aftershave that always rubs off onto me. He pulls out 3 dishes of snacks and I get the drinks as we head to the dining room to chat.

Conversations with Bob are always eventful but today was probably my favorite as we got on the widely discussed topic of Tiger Woods and therefore adultery and sleeping around. Basically an everyday conversation with an 86 year old dont ya think? He's a big golf fan so he mentioned that he's a fan of his. So we continued to talk about all the high profile celebrities, athletes, politicians, etc that have been not so loyal. Things like this tend to get blown out of proportion because they are in the spotlight. Cheating happens all the time, more than it needs to in my opinion, but of course its going to happen. But is it really THAT much worse for those high-profile professionals to do so? They are looked as inhumanely, or god-like because they have pros. When reality is its not the biggest sin out there. Don't get me wrong, cheating is not okay in any relationship, but does it really need to be on every magazine possible? We all know that most athletes, especially males (I am, in no way being sexist or generalizing) think that they can walk on water and have sex with all these different people because they are a star. Their news shouldn't be magnified more because they job is in the spotlight. In retrospect however they need to be more aware of their shining and their role as a "role model" to younger kids, but in today's society sincere role models are few and far between anyway.

The point of this ramble is that a "goal" of mine is to visit Bob at least once a month. He really enjoys it and it is good to just sit and talk to him. As we begin traveling, I will try to go every Monday and update him on the weekend's games. He is a true supporter and a good friend to have around.

No comments: